Wednesday, July 1, 2009

summer reading.....

i did a movie review so i thought for those of us who need a beach read or two i should also do a book review. that is if we ever get to the beach. i did not read all of these but the reviews are from a good source. it has been raining for more than 3 weeks - june has turned into july and i am still waiting for the rain to stop.


Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin
An easy read, but not as light-hearted as her others. I found this to be the most relateable (is that a word?) of her books. It's a bit cliche, but a good, interesting story. I'd call it a great beach read.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
My favorite book so far this year. It deals with tough situations and has some hard moments but the story is incredibly beautiful. It's definitely a love story, but so far from the typical romantic novel that it shouldn't be classified as such. It's much more a story about growth, trust, and relationships.

**My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
This was my first time reading one of her books and I loved it. I thought the plot twists were great and the writing was captivating. I had no interest in seeing the movie until I read the book, but I have the sense that the movie won't be able to do the book justice since it is such an intricately detailed novel.

Blessings by Anna Quindlen
This was one of those books where I hated certain outcomes but appreciated the reality of them that prevented the book from being cliche. What I really liked was the undercurrent of thoughts about what and who defines us and our roles. It's a story that is told really well and would be fantastic for book club reading.

**Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins
I thought this was a really interesting read. While my own experience with sorority life differed a lot from this book, I still think it's worth reading. The author posed as a sorority member, so it reads as an expose and at times is fairly shocking. It definitely made me want to read more of her work, which is how I rate authors on my hot or not scale. Secrets Of The Tomb is on my to-read list.

** not my review.

No comments: